Work of art reproduced in Wikipedia (see below)
Schiele, Egon. Selbstporträt mit gesenktem Kopf. 1912. Oil on panel. Sammlung Leopold, Vienna. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 21 May 2005. Web. 15 August 2013.
Provides an extensive listing of resources under the following headings:
- Logos and flags
- Postage stamps
- General collections
- Computer-generated public domain images
- Public domain image meta-resources
- Uncategorized links
- U.S. Government sites
- Search Engines
Find images in the public domain
Rights finder tools
The following tools will help you answer such questions as:
- Is this image in the public domain?
- What are the copyrigt restrictions for this image?
Creative Commons Meta Search: You should always verify that the work you are re-using has a Creative Commmons license attached to it.
- Google Image Search
- Search It!
- Flickr Advanced Search
- Flickr Related Tag Browser
- Creative Commons Search
- Xpert Media Search and Attribution Service
- allows users to search for Creative Commons licensed images and then as the image is downloaded it attaches a non intrusive attribution
How to apply licensing filters and provide attribution:
- How do I attribute a creative commons photo from flickr?
- How do I properly attribute a Creative Commons licensed work?
Stock images are usually found in commercial collections in which case the image can be purchased for a fee; however, there are many free collections as well. Additional collections can be identified by searching normal search engines by subject, ie. engineering stock images.