John Singer Sargent, Smoke of Ambergris
John Singer Sargent. Fumée d'Ambre Gris (Smoke of Ambergris).
Oil on canvas.
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA
Search the Clark library online catalog
Use the online catalog to search:
- by Title to find specific books that you already know about
- by Name to find books on a given artist or by a given author
- by Keyword to find books on particular topics
Research resources for art history
Welcome to the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute library!
This guide provides links to core resources useful to researchers working in the area of art history. Many of the databases, in particular, are resources that should be a basic part of every art historian's toolkit. Check out the box below to find guides to more specific or specialized areas of research.
Use the contents list below, or use the tabs above, to find materials appropriate for different stages of the research process or different areas of research.
Background/Context: Encyclopedias, dictionaries, and guides
Historical and bibliographic guides: Art history and theory
Finding books: Online catalogs and union catalogs
Finding articles and dissertations: Databases
Finding specialized information:
Primary source materials
Exhibition catalogs and reviews
Finding biographical information:
"Non-Western" (e.g. Asia, Africa)
Guides to terms and techniques for specific media:
More Clark library research guides
- Auction sales catalogs: find them, find what is contained in them
- Finding out about your work of art: A bibliography of sources in the Clark library
- Graduate students' guide to resources in art history
- Images: finding, using, and citing them
- Photography: researching its history, processes, and photographers
- Provenance Research at the Clark Library
- The Print: History, Theory, and Practice